Thursday 9 February 2012

What extent was I creative in my AS and A2 coursework tasks.

I feel I have been creative in my coursework and from AS to A2 my creativity has been developed and expanded through the ideas I put into my projects. I feel that by having a direct task set for us benefited in terms of having a focus and target and with this, it also set the standards of which I wanted to achieve. This added competitiveness challenged my creativity. 
I looked at original, existing designs and added my own ideas to create something new. This cross links with Bentley’s theory of ‘the making of the new and the re arranging of the old’ as I looked at existing magazines and applied my ideas to create something new. My magazine is original because I used my own imagination in creating it and it is my piece of work. However as mentioned above, I did look at other products, for example in AS I looked at magazines similar to my chosen genre and certain conventions are apparent in those original and of mine. However other elements were inspiration and therefore not a direct copy. This includes, the title, colour pallet, photos used, and article which are some features that portray originality. This juxtaposes the theory ‘media producers can learn nothing from studying the conventions of old texts’ as I have been inspired by older texts to help me create a new ones.
Inspiration from other texts helped in forming ideas/mood-boards for my artists genre, representation and chosen song (in A2). It also helped in creating an effective theme for both my magazine and music video where I continued my initial idea. For example by looking at other music artists I was able to create continuity through all my products which is being creative. Without inspiration it’d be difficult to create an effective product as you aren't getting any influence or a starting point from others. By researching similar magazines and music videos I was able to copy and adjust ideas to form new ones. I used other people’s creativity to create my idea and the features with it - the artist, mise en scene including costume, lighting and props, are some examples. Therefore I am being creative myself as I have planned a project from beginning to end.
Technology was a dominant influence on my coursework as it set a high standard that I wanted to achieve. This is in terms of using advanced technology to create professional products and present my work in a formal way. This challenges the theory ‘Technology has taken all the creativity out of media production’ as I feel that technology has been beneficial to me in helping improve my creativity by using advanced/creative ways to present my work. This includes programs such as Wix, animoto and blogger where I was able to present my work in a professional manner in both AS and A2. Furthermore being able to express myself through new technology and media has developed my own stylistic techniques. 
As well as this, technology such as the professional camera I used in both AS and A2 allowed me to take professional photos and the program, photoshop which I was first introduced to in AS, supported the professionalism. I used my creativity by coming up with my own artist style, in terms of mise en scene and and did my own editing. For example when considering my magazine, I looked at other magazines to get an idea of effective artist poses. In terms of my video, I chose certain camera shots in videos I liked, however I used them in my video with my own artist, which is a completely new idea.
There were also some limitations in my creativity for example technology resources were limited and I also had a budget. This is applied particularly to the A2 coursework. As well as this, throughout the music video process I had many hold backs in terms of finding a date where all three of the team were free. However myself and my team were creative by overcoming these problems for example, recreating the original idea of lots of different shots, to more repetitive shots.
As a team we were also creative on the days of filming and photo shoots in terms of spontaneously adding and coming up with new ideas as we went along. The theory ‘a project that is too well planned lacks opportunities for spontaneity and creativity’ supports this in some elements as it’s suggesting that creativity is a matter of trial and error and you become more creative as you build ideas. Although we did have a set plan to start with, it shows that to truly show creativity you must also allow for trial and error to enhance your creativity. Similarly this links with the paragraph before as we had to overcome many problems.
In both projects my ability to be more creative has developed and this is due to being encouraged to create something and applying my own ideas to it. Technology I feel has benefited me greatly as I am now able to use a broader range of technologies to express ideas. As an example, in AS I would have never even thought to have attempted to use photoshop. However through the project I found that I actually enjoyed using it and by being introduced to a lot more technology has enabled me to adapt to them much better and quicker when it comes to future projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment