Wednesday 29 February 2012

Detail how your understanding of the importance of good research and planning skills developed throughout the pre-production of your AS and A2 coursework.

Research and Planning essay

Due to never having created a magazine or music video before, conducting research was vital to understand what it is I must aim to achieve and the pro’s and con’s of my idea. Researching helps set the starting point in which I then created ideas from and started to put together my own, original idea. Having a wide variety of research that analyses every detail, I feel puts me in a better position of succeeding. Although in some ways I could possibly be accused of copying. However by combining the research with my own skills and ideas helps to plan the project and therefore is using my own creativity which I can argue as being original.
Over the two years I have become more aware of the depth of research needed to create work, as an example in AS, the fonts, logos, golden spiral etc. However I have also become able to justify and locate what research is necessary to undertake and this is due to having a greater knowledge of researching. Through researching and planning I am more aware of the wide variety of sources there is that I can look at and also how to analyze and apply the research I have found into a plan. As well as this, I am now more aware the accessibility of research as there can possibly be some limitations. Also I understand the reliability of the research which in turn, makes it easier to plan out tasks.
Researching also benefits in terms of being able to balance tasks which proves a benefit when having to undertake so many. By combining both research and planning it enhances good communication, especially in A2 in which I worked in a team. It also enables you to better express and develop own ideas into something new as you are being inspired by the research gathered. Additionally I feel it gives you self motivation and encourages creativity.
Over both years of AS and A2 I feel my organization and ability to reference materials has enabled me to plan more efficiently. This is vital, as a plan acts a guide into completing a certain task in time. Furthermore if a problem was to arise unexpectedly, both the research and planning undertaken would help to overcome a problem as part of planning is, planning for the unexpected.
Through research, my skills have also developed in terms of using technologies. For example by looking at existing magazines in AS, I was able to learn similar techniques to those used on professional magazines and therefore I adapted to using the program Photoshop more easily. Furthering from this I have then been able to progress my skills further by presenting my work and skills through technology; therefore allowing me to become more knowledgable. Additionally it helped me present my work in a more organized and professional manner and clearly this wouldn’t have been achieved without research and planning. Referencing materials became second hand to me and I feel my skills have vastly improved over both years.
Research and planning also involves producing drafts which can then be evaluated and then further worked on. Drafting for me, was also part of research as I became aware of little ‘faults’ so to speak, that wouldn’t be in professional products. For example in AS, the magazine was slightly blurry in terms of the photo’s focus. Therefore by further researching other magazines and also techniques on-line that I could use in Photoshop, I was able to improve my skills more by removing such faults.
Overall research and planning I feel encourages a person to develop their skills further. Planning ahead made me aware of what I needed to do to achieve my desired expectations for the final product. Through comparing work from A2 to AS made me aware of how my skills of research and planning have improved and this made me better prepared when facing a music video project that I’d never done anything like before. Research and planning enables trial and error and without it, it would be impossible to make the correct product in terms of features etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment